Main menu

Municipal water treatment facilities use chlorine as a disinfectant in the water supply to kill disease-causing bacteria and viruses. The chlorine penetrates the cell walls of these organisms and leaves them unable to replicate or reproduce. This method of purification has been used effectively for over 100 years.

Unfortunately, the microorganisms gradually build a tolerance to chlorination, requiring greater and greater concentrations to be injected into the water supply. Even worse, certain deadly bacteria, including Cryptosporidium and Giardia are highly resistant to chlorine disinfection and require alternative methods of purification. 

Is Chlorine Making Your Water Undrinkable?
We Offer Several Great Options To Purify Your Water

While chlorine levels in public water treatment facilities are carefully tested to ensure the water remains safe for consumption, it still gives the water an objectionable flavor. When chlorine dissolves in water, it forms a weak acid known as hypochlorous acid. This acid can react with the proteins in hair and skin, leaving them as itchy and irritated as swimming in the local pool. 

Homeowners dealing with highly chlorinated tap water are often left searching for ways to eliminate the smells and tastes from the water they drink and cook with. For more information on the most efficient methods of removing chlorine and other unwanted particles from your water, click on the link below.